PRINCIPAL TOWER, LONDON
Situated on the edge of the City of London and in the Borough of Hackney, Principal Tower presents a landmark apartment tower that will be one of London’s tallest residential buildings.
To promote sustainability and reach out to local students, Multiplex teamed up with one of the subcontractors on site, Careys Civil Engineering, to design and deliver a bespoke workshop for construction students at Hackney Community College, who were studying trades from carpentry to plumbing.
The Principal Tower team delivered two sessions of the sustainability workshop, titled “Resource Efficiency in Construction”, in November 2016 to groups of 20 to 25 students.
The team used a range of activities to engage with the students and educate them on resource efficiency:
- 3D BIM modelling and site photographs provided insight into the lifecycle of a construction site, from the start to the finish of building Principal Tower
- CGI images and talks from the team educated the students on resource efficiency, highlighting its importance in the industry
- Interactive group tasks to build a model tower and lay out a site using Lego blocks, felt and CGI images of various site environments encouraged students to consider the environmental aspects influencing site management
- Video interviews showcased the diversity of career paths available in construction
- Virtual reality software enabled interaction with the environment of a live construction site without leaving the classroom
Multiplex and Careys received positive and encouraging feedback from all the students and tutors who attended. One tutor described the workshop as “exceptionally professional, interesting and enriching”, and thanked Multiplex and Careys for being “a pleasure to work with throughout the whole process”.
Overall, the workshop enabled the Principal Tower team to promote sustainable practices, present the range of career paths available in the industry, and have a positive impact on the next generation of construction recruits in the Borough of Hackney.