One decade to act: Our Pathway to Net Zero Carbon
Today we launch ‘One decade to act’, our pathway that sets out the actions we will undertake between now and 2030 to help our European operations achieve net zero carbon by 2050 including our supply chain emissions.
Our net zero carbon goals and targets
‘One decade to act’ includes a public commitment to achieve five carbon emissions goals by 2030:
- Zero onsite emissions by 2025
- 50% reduction in embodied carbon intensity by 2030
- Net zero carbon building operations by 2030
- Zero transport emissions by 2030
- Zero avoidable waste by 2030
‘One decade to act’ brings together the many climate commitments we have already made to date and importantly maps out a credible action plan to meet them. These include being:
- the first contractor to sign the World Green Building Council’s Net Zero Carbon Buildings Commitment
- the first contractor in the world to revise its science-based target in line with limiting global warming to just 1.5 degrees by 2050 and
- a founding signatory of UK Contractors Declare, part of a global movement to declare a state of climate and biodiversity emergency.
- a founding signatory to SteelZero, a global initiative that brings together organisations from a range of sectors to make a public commitment to procure only 100% net zero carbon steel by 2050.
Read the full 'One decade to act' pathway
‘One decade to act’ represents the culmination of several years’ work for our European business, including extensive research and data gathering on the sources of the emissions that make up our carbon footprint.
Recognising that culture change will be integral to achieving our carbon goal and targets, ‘One decade to act’ includes a cultural and behavioural change programme for our people, clients and supply chain called ‘Educate, Engage, Empower.’ This follows extensive staff and stakeholder consultation and underpins the way we intend to empower not just our own workforce, but also our clients and supply chain to disrupt the existing construction model and eliminate carbon emissions. This approach is vital given that 98 to 99 percent of our carbon footprint is associated with our scope 3 emissions, which includes actions undertaken by our clients and supply chain.
Intent on being synonymous with actions and not just words, ‘One decade to act’ will be delivered according to a Climate Action Management Framework to ensure Multiplex’s board and management teams govern progress against our carbon goals and targets.
Success will come through actions, not words. One Decade to Act is based on taking practical, evidence-based steps founded on climate science, research and collaboration. We must promote cultural and behavioural change within and beyond our business, working closely with our clients and supply chain to achieve these goals together.