Leading the regeneration of Elephant and Castle with a 147-metre tall uniquely-designed skyscraper
Strata SE1 London
At a glance
Castle House Developments Ltd
Design & Build
Building Research Establishment EcoHomes Code 4 rating
Delivering London's 'Razor'
Strata SE1 sits at the heart of the £1.5billion regeneration of Elephant and Castle, comprising two buildings, it is the tallest residential building in central London.
The principle building rises 147 metres above ground level and a five-storey Pavilion building makes the second contribution. The scheme includes 408 residential apartments – a mixture of studios, one, two and three bedroom penthouse apartments – that enjoy inspiring views of London.
The principle building features a contemporary lobby and double storey retail units with a further retail unit at ground level of the Pavilion building.
In line with the London Borough of Southwark’s policy for affordable housing, Strata SE1 incorporates both private and affordable housing.
A testament to the innovations at Multiplex, Strata SE1 is the first development in the world to integrate wind turbines into the fabric of the building. The three nine-metre diameter wind turbines are each capable of generating 19 kilowatts of renewable energy.They are operational and will be monitored by London South Bank University, who are aiming to publish an independent performance report over the next two years.
Continuing the origination, Target Emission Reduction was used to define the design objective and the project achieved a Building Research Establishment EcoHomes “Code 4” rating.
Environmental consultants indicated that Strata SE1 will achieve a significant carbon reduction that exceeds both existing and the anticipated level of 2050 future target emission levels.
The building can be seen from many key locations around London adding a dynamic element to the city’s skyline and announcing a new age in thoughtful residential design.
- 2011 – Sustainability Sector of Building & Construction - Green Apple
- 2011 – Highly Commended for Sustainable Building - City of London Sustainable City Awards
- 2011 – Highly Commended for Resource Conservation - City of London Sustainable City Awards
- 2011 – Gold Award - National Considerate Constructors Scheme
- 2011 – Building Services - Association of Consultancy and Engineering (ACE) Engineering Excellence
- 2011 – Best Sustainability Project (for the recognition of their high standards of construction and workmanship) - LDSA - London District Surveyors Association
- 2010 – Overall Winner - Concrete Society Awards
- 2010 – Bronze Award - National Considerate Constructors Scheme
- 2010 – 3 Bronze Awards: Awarded to Principal Contractor - Brookfield Multiplex Construction Europe Ltd, Developer - Brookfield Europe & Subcontractor - Bourne Steel - Structural Steel Design Awards
- Architect – BFLS
- Structural Engineer – WSP Buildings
Project in numbers
storey Pavilion building
nine- metre wind turbines