A residential tower overlooking the Thames – part of London’s new Nine Elms district
The Tower – One St George Wharf London
At a glance
St George South London Limited
Design & Build
Residential space in Vauxhall
Multiplex built the shell and core and completed the fit out to the private amenity areas of The Tower – One St George Wharf, located in Vauxhall, London.
Overlooking the River Thames, The Tower stands at 185 metres and is one of the tallest residential buildings in Europe. Consisting of 238 luxury apartments, business lounge, gym, swimming pool, and a penthouse apartment from 46th to 50th floor, all the apartments have breathtaking views over London. The ground and first floor gross internal area is 1,035m²; and the residential levels are 33,023.5m². The unique floor plan is based on the shape of a Catherine Wheel and is typically divided into five apartments per floor with separating walls radiating out from the central core.
The Tower has a 10 m vertical axis wind turbine installed on the roof, that will generate electricity to power the lighting in the common areas.
During design stage, Multiplex developed a number of key changes to improve the safety, aesthetics, programme and out turn costs, which included;
a unique self climbing cladding installation screen system which utilised the same needle positions as the formwork screens, that allowed the cladding installation, external inspection and clean to be undertaken from a fully enclosed working platform.
perimeter sky garden columns were designed out from each apartment resulting in cost savings and net letable area increases for the client.
Concierge, Business lounge, Screening room, a resident’s gym and spa, swimming pool overlooking the River Thames. Multiplex successfully delivered this iconic Tower on time and on budget.
- 2013 – Gold Award - The Royal Society for the Prevention of Accidents
- 2013 – Gold Award - National Considerate Constructors Scheme
- 2013 – Environment & Architectural Heritage Gold Award - Green Apple
- 2012 – Supreme Award in the Multi Storey category - NHBC Pride in the Job awards
- 2012 – Silver Award - National Considerate Constructors Scheme
- 2012 – Gold award - The Royal Society for the Prevention of Accidents
- Architect – Broadway Malyan
- Structural Engineer – Robert Bird & Partners
- Services Engineer – Grontmij
Project in numbers
tall wind turbine
apartments on a typical floor plate